10.07.2010

Keegan's Fish

While I was away in NY, Ryan & Keegan decided that it was the perfect time to get some fish {perfect timing alright, I wasn't there to stop them!}. I was pretty surprised to find this new addition to our household but was happy that it was just a small tank and not a big 10 gallon one that Ryan really wants to get!

Meet Keegan's fish....


They are goldfish but not your normal 30 cent goldfish, they are little more special than that! There is one big one {Elmo} and two smaller ones {Cookie Monster & Grover}. Keegan came up with the names all by himself {bet you didn't figure that one out already huh?}! Cookie Monster got his name because he hogs all the food and the other two I guess just "came" to him! lol

So, of course I laid down some rules....ok just one rule, but it is a very important one!! I told Ryan that I am NOT in charge of the fish & I will NOT be cleaning the tank out....under any circumstances! We did the whole beta fish thing before and guess who was the only one who ever cleaned the tank & fed it....yep, you guessed it, it was me! Although the fish don't bother me and Keegan really does like them, Ryan was the one who bought them so he can be the one to take care of them!

Keegan loves his fish and does pretty good with them. He usually feeds them every night when we get home, except for those days when he is too concerned about getting a snack for himself and playing with his toys!


He likes the fish so much that he decided they needed something to look at:


That's right...after our trip to the pumpkin patch Keegan decided that the fish would like to look at the pumpkins! He grabbed all of the small pumpkins that I got to use as part of a centerpiece and placed them around the fish tank so the fish can look at them! Oh...and my centerpiece....still no pumpkins, I'm not allowed to move them away from the fish tank!

Ok.....if you are having an emotional day, consider this your warning! Apparently one of the fish didn't like his new home! The Tuesday after they came "home" one of them took a visit to fish heaven. We knew it wasn't going to last long because it wasn't very "active" and was moving kinda slow {if you know what I mean}.

When Ryan feed them in the morning he told me he didn't think it would last all day & asked me what we should tell Keegan. I said we aren't going to tell him anything! I did what any good mom would do and went to the store on my way home from work and bought a "replacement" fish! When we got home Keegan went straight to feed the fish. Well...there it was, just laying on the bottom of the tank completely lifeless. Fortunately it was half way under the boat so Keegan just thought it was stuck & thought it was funny! Keegan then got a snack & was playing in the living room....perfect!  That gave me the opportunity to "switch" out the fish without him noticing at all! {other good moms would do this too right?}

Whew....you have no idea how scared I was that I was going to get caught! Fish drama was over and everything was perfect in the fish tank again! Well it was perfect....until today. Ryan feed them before he left for work & told me he thought one was dead. My first thought was "it's 4:50 a.m. I don't care about the stupid fish" and then my second thought was "seriously, another dead fish? I'm NOT buying another one!" Once I got up I went in to check and sure enough....we lost another fish. I really don't want to buy another "replacement". At the rate we are going I would be buying a new fish once a week....yep, that's not going to happen!

Keegan doesn't know about his fish yet and I have no idea what to tell him. Any suggestions on how to tell a 3 year old that his fish died would be greatly appreciated!! :)

No comments: