12.21.2010

Are You on Vacation?!

So this morning on my way to work the gas light came on in my car, no big deal, I had plenty of time to stop and get some gas and since Waterloo gas prices are the same as South County right now I was just going to fill 'er up.

That was until I swiped my card and the said "See Cashier". What the hell? So I tried it again...same thing. This time I decided to try it as a debit instead of credit....nope "See Cashier". I went inside and told her what happened and she said "well you have to hit the payment type first then swipe". I'm not sure what kind of look I gave her but in my mind I was thinking "um, actually no you don't because I always swipe the card first and it works just fine!".

Whatever, I told her that I would just prepay since I was already in there and to just do $10. {with wasting all this time I didn't have time to sit and wait for the whole freakin' thing to fill up}. She swiped it....declined! WHAT THE HELL!! {and I actually said that out loud!} I literally just used the card yesterday and I know that there is PLENTY of money in there, especially for just $10 worth of gas.

Whatever, go outside and use my actual credit card and get $10 worth of gas. Now on my to do list for today is to call the bank and figure out what is wrong. Well I didn't have time to call the bank because they called me first! My phone rings, it's a 282 number {which is obviously Red Bud} but I didn't recognize it, I went ahead and answered it though....

Me: hello
Bank: hi this is so&so from the bank. I was wondering if you are by chance on vacation?
Me: um, no
Bank: well we have some charges that have taken place in Florida.
Me: well that's great!
Bank: {she kind of chuckled} there is a $258.27 charge at a Wal-Mart in Florida.
Me: um ya, that wasn't us!

Then she goes on to say that there was an actual card used, which means that the jackass swiped my information and then made a duplicate card to use!!! Isn't that lovely, Merry Christmas to us!

Thankfully we bank at a small, local bank and they were able to catch this right away and realize that a purchase made in Florida didn't seem right. My current card is being cancelled, a fraud report is going to go out and they will refund us our money once the transaction is actually posted to our account {basically the money will be taken out and then they are going to put it right back in}. She also said that Wal-Mart won't do anything about it since there was an actual card that was used so we wouldn't be able to prove it was fraud....Wal-Mart you suck!

5 comments:

Heather said...

This makes me cringe. I just signed up for a checking account on Friday for the first time in probably 6 years because banks terrify me. I had an account with a larger bank chain and someone got ahold of my information, and they let them completely wipe out my account and then some, and then after they refunded me all of my money, they wouldn't stand behind my checks that had bounced. So now I am in the America's Most Wanted check cashing system. This story doesn't make me feel any better about opening up another account!!

Heather said...

So my cousin just posted on Facebook that someone got ahold of her debit card and used it in Florida this past weekend. And she lives in O'Fallon. Weird....

Meagan said...

I posted what happend to me on FB and a ton of people have been telling me that the same thing has happened to at least one person that they know!! Someone else told me that it happened to one of the news anchors on channel 2 and that her card was used at a wal-mart in Florida....something REALLY wierd is going on!!

Meagan said...

Oh...and at lunch my mom was telling me about some new scanner thing that people are using and all they have to do walk by you and scan your purse and they can get all of your info form all of your cards in your wallet!!

Cassie said...

WTF is wrong with this world!!