10.23.2012

So Long!

This past weekend I did something that I wasn't sure if I was exactly ready for. To some it may not seem like a big deal what.so.ever. but in our house, it was a HUGE deal! 

You see from the time Carson was like a day old he became insanely attached to the binky. No joke, it was his sidekick, his right-hand man{?}, his bff! 

Going home from the hospital!

 Where ever Carson was, his binky was sure to be very, very near. We absolutely did not leave the house without at least one. Seriously, I even bought those ridiculous binky holder things, you know what I'm talking about, they clip onto the kids shirt and the binky is on the other end, so I could clip it onto his car seat strap since he felt the need to drop them all.the.time when we were in the car. {disclaimer: he NEVER wore that God awful thing on his clothes, I promise you that!}


Well about 2 weeks ago, the daycare lost his binky! I kept one there at all times that way I wouldn't have to remember to bring one or take one home every day. I'm not going to lie, when they first told me I was little pissy, I mean he can't go without that thing & I only had 2 at home {well 2 because I couldn't find one, plus the one that stayed in the car 24/7 & the one that stayed in the diaper bag 24/7 but those two don't count}. Then I found out that he did just fine without it & even took a decent nap. Day after day at daycare without the binky he kept doing just fine {but you better believe that the second he was in the car that thing went straight into his mouth} so I decided he could do without it at home too. I mean no biggie right?! We were going to take it away when he turned 1 anyway {which is only 6 weeks from now}, why not do it a little early since he can clearly go 8 hours at daycare without it.


On last Thursday I told Ryan that we were going to break him of the habit. I figured since I am off on Fridays it would be a good idea to do it over the weekend, you know in case I had a bunch of sleepless nights. Ryan was a little unsure at first, I mean hello, I was too, I was going to be taking his bff away! That night he fell asleep without it, woke up crying at like 2:30 & I gave in, gave him his binky. 


he even mastered the two at one time trick!
Friday morning I decided that I was actually going to do it and only give it to him while he was sleeping, no more binky during the day. Then I thought about it some more and realized that I would have to go through this all over again when it came time to taking it away from him when he was sleeping also, so I did it. I found every single binky and threw them all in the trash!!

there's that stupid hold thing {yes I threw that away also} & those stupid shoes that are they only kind that fit his fat feet!
It was a little rough when he first got tired in the morning & I'm pretty sure he was pissed off at me!


But he managed to take a nap without it and surprisingly he played really well without it also. He was even a happy camper in the car smiling & laughing the whole time {which hardly ever happens because he hates being in the car}.


Friday night he went to bed fine, then at 3 am he woke up screaming & crying, then continued to do so for 20 straight minutes. I just laid in bed & let him cry, I mean he didn't want me anyway so what was the point of getting up? From then on he woke up like 5 more times crying but fell back asleep each time. I think it finally hit him Saturday afternoon that he was no longer going to get his binky though because he had a huge meltdown!


Seriously, this was him for a good 30-45 minutes complete with throwing his head back & everything. I just watched him & took his picture while daydreaming about a huge strawberry margarita on the rocks!  So, we are officially binky free & I couldn't be happier! It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but by the time Ryan got home Saturday night {yep, I decided to pick a weekend where he worked until 8 both Friday & Saturday night} I was d.o.n.e.!! On the bright side, he has been sleeping sooo much better then he ever did {seriously the kid slept from 5 last night until 6 this morning} and now all we have to worry about now is breaking him of the bottle! Maybe I'll let Ryan handle that one on his own! ;)

3 comments:

Cassie said...

way to go!! more power to you!! it seriously is SOOOOO hard!

let me know your bottle tricks - henry is obsessed with his baba. NO FUN!

Christine Pettijohn said...

Way to go!!! I would just the same as you did with the binky for his bottle. One day the bottle disappeared at our house and Isaac did not even notice. Thank God!

Sarah said...

Yayyyyy!! It's all about tough love mama. Good job on throwing them away, that is exactly what I had to do with Logan's bottles. It is so easy to give in with 2+ kids.