4.11.2011

Is It Really Worth It?

Over the weekend while we were out & about Ryan threw out the idea of maybe joining either Sam's or Costco. Since both places have a "visitor's pass" where you can walk around and check things out that's what we did! We ended up going to both places and ultimately decided that we liked Sam's better than Costco.

While walking around checking things out and trying to compare the prices to what the prices are at a regular store, we kept going back & forth on what we wanted to do. Ryan mentioned the fact that if we did become members we could easily drop a lot of money at one time but then again that happens on regular shopping trips sometimes too! It also wouldn't be worth it to drive that far to only pick up a couple of items. We left leaning more towards not wanting to join because we just aren't sure if it will really be worth it & if we will actually save money, especially with having to pay a membership fee.

That's where you come in with your wonderful opinions...

Are you a member at one of these places? Do you really save money after paying the membership fee? Is it really worth it in the long run?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a SAMS card, which is going to expire tomorrow. I was going back and forth on the fact if I wanted to re-new or quit or get a COSTCO card, or just give it up all together. The only thing that I really bought at Sams was Formula and Diapers- HUGE $$ saver on that. I don't really need bulk of anything else cause I just dont have the room. But if you do have the room to store 500 rolls of toilet paper, then yes it is probably worth it. I think SAMS is $40 a year and COSTCO $50 a year. So really it is not THAT much, IF you think you are going to actually use it. There is my 2 cents :)

Sarah said...

We were Sam's members. I "just knew" I would put it to good use. Welp, that was a big fat negative. I used it twice. Once because if I spent $100 I got a $25 gift card & the other time was for a party. It really is out of the way. I think once these boys become teenagers I might reconsider...then I will have to buy everything in bulk!! Until then, if I HAVE to go there I will just use my parents account.

sblind2 said...

We are members at Costco and I LOVE it!! I used Kirkland (costco house brand) formula and I use the diapers and wipes. I think you have to watch your prices at either place, but at Costco you get coupons. And milk is under $3 and you can get a 3lb bag of lettuce for under $3....and Feta is super cheap

I think I save $$ going to Costco esp when I get the stuff with coupons!! =)

Meagan said...

Thanks for all the info ladies!! Looks like we might have to talk about it a little more!

I was wondering if you could use coupons or not...do they only accept coupons that they print specifically for the store?

Adrien said...

We had a Costco membership when we lived in St. Peters, MO. because we were literally down the street from one. But even though we lived so close we rarely ever used it. We did, however, get our gas there to save some $$. Obviously that wouldn't help you, haha. So my honest answer is that we thought it was going to be a great idea, but then we really didn't get much use out of it.

Nicole said...

I have a Sam's card but my work pays for it. I do find it beneficial but I don't go there for all of my shopping. We only get items from there that we use the most (for ex: Ranch, spaghetti sauce, frozen meals, cereal, granola bars, toilet paper, kleenex, heart burn medicine, etc) You can not use coupons there :-( We also got a rewards credit card that we use for only Sam's grocery's and gas since you do typically spend quite a bit when you are there. We love the gas price perk too when we are in the area. I have to say though that I am not sure I would have got the card if work didn't pay for it...but I love having it now. Also, Brad and I were just saying how its so much easier and quicker to head over there than it was when we lived in Red Bud. Good Luck!

sblind2 said...

You can only use Costco Coupons.