9.27.2011

tying it up

I have been looking for something cute & affordable to put on our front door for fall and I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. Well, I found some stuff but I didn't want to pay the price for it. So I did what anyone else would do....I made one myself! 

I saw one last fall on a blog somewhere that I thought about trying because it was super cute & super easy. It was basically fake leaves hot glued on a picture frame mat.....but that didn't happen. Then I kept seeing some this fall that looked even easier to make so while I was at the store one day I picked up what I would need to make it.


I picked up the styrofoam from Michael's and the fabric from Wal-Mart. I love that Wal-Mart sells fabric in these pre-packaged things now. Each one was two yards of fabric and I ended up using one yard of each color. I'm a huge brown/orange fan for fall but you could use any colors that you want really, I've seen some that were used with ribbon & those were super cute! Maybe at Christmas time I will do that?!

I simply cut the fabric into strips and then tied them onto the styrofoam alternating between the two colors. Then I trimmed the ends of the knots to the length that I wanted. Tied some ribbon on the top and it was done!


I wasn't sure how I was going to like it while I was making it but I think I really like it! {plus Ryan even said that he thinks it looks good....that doesn't happen often!} It's super light too so I don't have to worry about it falling off the hook and it's not too big so I don't have to worry about it getting smashed between the two doors.


I'm thinking about getting the letter P to attach to it somehow or maybe a little scarecrow.


Opinions on adding something to it....yay or nay?! 

8 comments:

Adrien said...

That is too cute!! I love brown and orange, too. :D I think a letter "P" would be adorable hanging down from the middle, but it looks awesome as it is. Might have to steal this idea!

Meagan said...

Steal away...it was super easy, especially since the cuts don't have to be exactly the same!

Christine Pettijohn said...

Meagan that is so cute! I might have to do that for a Christmas wreath.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT! i am Totally stealing this idea! Great job!

Stephanie said...

wow! I love it! I want to make a wreath now :)

Nicole said...

Look at you Betty Homemaker...I am impressed! It looks GREAT!!!!

Sarah said...

Very cute! And I agree a little scarecrow & P would be adorable!!!!

Kim Luke said...

LOVE it! Great job!